Nursing Home Fined After Resident Chokes On Carrot, Dies

Two nursing homes have been fined by the state Department of Public Health, including a home in Wallingford that was fined $2,500 in connection with the choking death of a resident. On Feb. 25, the Village Green of Wallingford received the fine in connection with the Feb. 4 incident in which the resident died after choking on a carrot, the DPH citation said. The resident was supposed to receive a pureed diet, but that day, a nurse found the resident unresponsive with a tray of food that included chopped, not pureed food, the citation said.