The state Department of Public Health (DPH) has fined three nursing homes for various violations, including a New Haven facility that was cited for cocaine use by residents. RegalCare at New Haven was fined $1,680 after four residents tested positive for cocaine. On April 30, 2018, a resident tested positive for cocaine after being seen handing a dollar bill with white powder on it to another resident, according to DPH. A physician’s order dated May 3 implemented several interventions, including room searches every day for three days, but the resident’s room was only searched May 4 and May 5. The resident who was handed the dollar bill with white powder on it, who had opioid dependence, tested positive for cocaine on May 1.
Six nursing homes have been fined by the state Department of Public Health (DPH) for various violations in which residents were injured or endangered. Masonicare Health Center in Wallingford was fined $7,800 after a resident with dementia fell from an X-ray table to the floor. The resident fell on Aug. 22, 2018, and suffered a head laceration that required five sutures, according to DPH. A registered nurse had asked the X-ray technician whether straps should be used to secure the resident to the table, but the technician said none were available.
Six Connecticut nursing homes have been cited and fined by the state Department of Public Health (DPH) for violations, including one instance in which a resident died after a series of staff errors. St. Camillus Center in Stamford was fined $6,000 after a resident died and video footage at the facility subsequently showed staff waited 10 minutes to administer CPR after finding the resident unresponsive. On Feb. 16, 2018, a resident with lung cancer was found sitting on the floor.
Six nursing homes were cited by the state Department of Public Health following lapses in care, including an accidental medication overdose, falls that resulted in injuries and failing to monitor residents. Paradigm Healthcare Center of Torrington was cited and fined $1,160 in March after a January incident in which a resident being treated for hypertension, chronic pulmonary disease and lymphoma was given an accidental overdose of medication. A nurse mistakenly gave the resident 2.5 milliliters of morphine sulfate, 10 times the 0.25-milileter dose ordered by the treating physician, records show. The overdose resulted in lowered blood pressure and slowed breathing in the resident, who was taken to the emergency room and later discharged back to the center. Officials at the facility did not return a phone call seeking comment.