State health officials have fined three Connecticut nursing homes for various incidents, including one in which a resident died last year. Apple Rehab Farmington Valley in Plainville was fined $2,140 for three violations that occurred in 2016. In one case, a resident died Oct. 23 after choking during dinner. The resident, who had dementia, was found by a licensed practical nurse (LPN) choking in bed.
Six Connecticut nursing homes have been fined for violations, including two that resulted in resident deaths. The state Department of Public Health (DPH) has fined Madison House in Madison $2,265 for an incident in which a resident was found face-down and unresponsive in bed. The resident was admitted to the facility in November 2015, according to DPH, with a broken hip. The resident had surgery and subsequently went into cardiogenic shock five days later and required “extensive care,” according to the citation. The resident was found unresponsive Dec.
Seven nursing homes have been fined at least $1,200 in connection with residents who were verbally abused or who suffered cuts or broken bones. The state Department of Public Health (DPH) fined Madison House in Madison a total of $3,640 in separate citations on Feb. 5 and March 3. It was fined $1,940 in connection with a nurse’s aide who was verbally abusive to a resident on Aug. 8.