Four nursing homes have been fined by the state in connection with medication errors or residents who fell, broke bones or wandered outside alone. On March 15, Leeway Inc. of New Haven was fined $3,000 in connection with a resident who was hospitalized on Feb. 23 with low levels of phosphate and potassium after a medication error. The resident was not given seven doses of potassium chloride despite a doctor’s order, the state Department of Health citation said. A registered nurse said later that she was tired and missed the order, the citation said.
Four nursing homes were recently fined by the state in connection with incidents in which residents were hospitalized, fell, broke a bone or were burned. On May 6, Sharon Health Care Center was fined $2,320 in connection with two residents who were burned when they were served hot food, the citation from the state Department of Public Health said. On Sept. 19, one resident was burned on the hand by hot pureed egg, the citation said. The resident was eating without help even though the care plan called for assistance during meals.
Seven nursing homes have been fined at least $1,200 in connection with residents who were verbally abused or who suffered cuts or broken bones. The state Department of Public Health (DPH) fined Madison House in Madison a total of $3,640 in separate citations on Feb. 5 and March 3. It was fined $1,940 in connection with a nurse’s aide who was verbally abusive to a resident on Aug. 8.
Seven nursing homes were recently fined more than $1,000 each by the state Department of Public Health, including a Bridgeport home and a Hamden facility that were each cited in connection with the death of a resident. The residents who died were at Bridgeport Manor and Arden House Rehabilitation & Nursing Center in Hamden. On Nov. 24, Bridgeport Manor was fined $1,020 in connection with the Oct. 6 death of a resident whose tracheostomy tube was dislodged.
State health officials have fined four Connecticut nursing homes following lapses in care that resulted in falls, injuries and a report of abusive comments. St. Joseph’s Center in Trumbull was fined $1,020 after a state Department of Public Health inspection found a resident who had been left unattended fell and suffered multiple facial fractures and a brain hemorrhage in October. According to the DPH, the resident suffered from Alzheimer’s dementia and had a history of falling. The resident was walking from the shower room with the help of a nursing assistant who heard another resident call for help.
Five Connecticut nursing homes have been fined by the state Department of Public Health in connection with incidents of inadequate staffing and injuries to patients that included cuts and a broken leg. On Oct. 29, Sheriden Woods Health Care Center of Bristol was fined $1,580 when records show a resident with a venous ulcer on a toe did not get follow-up care with a vascular surgeon in September. A doctor’s visit had been cancelled and records show a lack of follow-up care for a few weeks until a doctor saw the wound on Sept. 26. Aurora Senior Living of Norwalk was fined $1,280 on Oct.