State Fines Six Nursing Homes

The state Department of Public Health (DPH) has fined six nursing homes for violations that resulted in injuries to residents. Cheshire Regional Rehabilitation Center was fined $3,000 after a resident, who required staff assistance to eat was left alone and choked on a roll. On the morning of Oct. 10, 2017, the resident, who had functional quadriplegia and difficulty swallowing, was found next to a dining room table that had a plate of rolls on it and was holding a roll. A licensed practical nurse took the roll away from the resident and left the room, but a surveyor subsequently saw the resident wheeze and cough out a piece of the roll, according to DPH.

Four Nursing Homes Fined, One Following A Resident’s Death

Four Connecticut nursing homes have been fined by the state Department of Public Health following injuries and falls, including one fall that later resulted in a resident’s death. Avon Health Center was fined $1,090 because of two incidents. On March 14, a resident died six days after falling out of a mechanical lift and sling. The resident, who had several ailments including dementia, fell while being transferred from a wheelchair to a bed. The resident suffered brain hemorrhaging and a fracture at the base of the skull, and was treated at a local emergency room, according to the DPH citation.